Monday, August 18, 2014

Sister Barbie

What a crazy week!  This one really flew by.  It started out with mission cousel which I always love, especially with President Castro.  He really is the best and all the little changes he is making really are inspired for our mission.  The week before I had my first (and last) interview with him.  I was really surprised and happy that he spent 1/2 hour talking with me.  Usually mission presidents like to get the interviews done fast.

You are probably wondering why I titled this e-mail Sister Barbie.  That is because I've officially had this nickname in every area I've served in now.  I don't even think people know my real name.  Even everyday people are calling me by my nickname.  I was walking through a big super market last week and a little girl called out to me, "Hey!!!  You look like a Barbie!"  It's because I look so different here compared to everyone else.  Even compared to the Americans!  Almost all the americans are either dark or red.  It will be weird going home and being just average again.  You would be proud though mom, I use sunscreen everyday and I walk with an umbrella to shield the sun. :)  Just don't make fun of me when I get home and I'm all white still...because for me I can either be white or RED!

This week we finished teaching our investigators Monique (13) and Kaio (9) and they were baptized Saturday night.  Their baptism was so special.  Early last week their mom was talking about the tremedous different she had seen in her kids during the past 2 weeks of teaching them.  She said, "Usually Monique is a little rebelious, but lately she has been so helpful and kind."  We explained to her how the gospel of Jesus Christ changes us.  We could feel the Spirit so strong in their baptism and after they changed clothes Kaio wanted to bear his testimony to everyone.  He said something that I thought was so sweet, he said, "It's always been a dream of mine to be baptized".  The next day they were confirmed members of the church and received the gift of the Holy Ghost.  In his confirmation he was blessed to serve a full-time mission, be sealed in the temple and teach his children the gospel.  I love being reminded of that vision!  It's more than just one baptism.  It is countless generations of his posterity and people that he will baptize on his mission!  Kaio really is special though.  

The other night we invited his dad to pray and he didn't want to.  We started explaining the steps of prayer to him and he was still not too excited about praying.  Then Kaio, 9 years-old, wrapped his arm around his dad and said, "I'll help you!"  He began whispering the prayer in his dad's ear as his dad spoke the words out-loud, like a father would normally do for a child.  Some children were truely sent to this earth to teach their parents.  Even their mom said, "Watching them get baptized gave me a strong feeling and desire to get baptized as well".  We are going to start working with their parents, especially their dad so they can get married and baptized as well.  

So many miracles this week that I don't even have time to tell them all!  Heavenly Father really is helping us in this work.  I'm so grateful to be here.  I love being a missionary.  I know the church is true.  Hope ya'll have a great week!

Love,
Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment