Monday, May 20, 2013

7th Letter "Shawnee YSA Ward"

Have you seen the movie Tangled?  Do you remember the part when Rapunzel leaves her home and she goes through this emotional roller coaster?!  One minute she is crying and the next she is screaming "I'm never going home!!!"  That is the mission for ya!  At least the first week in the field.  I'm not going to lie, it's tough.  But then Heavenly Father makes up for it with miracles that give me so much joy!  I don't know how to explain it.

I'm loving this area more and more.  If I do stay another transfer, I hope I can stay here.  Washington is really beautiful and the people are generally very kind, even if they're not interested.  A lot of the members around here own the Subways so we can get free Subway anytime we want!!!  This is especially exciting for Sister Robinson and I because we serve in the Young Single Adult Ward and typically missionaries don't get meals when they serve in YSA wards.  But, that's ok!  We eat a lot of microwave meals and cereal.  Sometimes when we stop at member's homes they will feed us too.

We've seen a lot of miracles this week.  One of these miracles is Audrey.  Audrey was a member referral that started taking the discussions because she was curious.  We met with her a second time this week and this time she came without her fellowshipper!!!  Miracle number ONE!  We had planned to give her a church tour, but instead we sat down and got to know her a little better because she didn't keep her commitment to read the Book of Mormon.  After asking her some inspired questions, we found out why she felt like God wasn't in her life.  We asked her if she wanted to know if God was there and she said yes.  So we kneeled down and asked her to pray right there and to ask God if He was there.  Audrey offered the most simple prayer and because of her desires God answered immediately!  We could all feel it and we could not deny it.  I have never felt so much joy.  Heavenly Father truly cares if our prayers are answered, but we need to ask in faith.  After the prayer, we took her on a church tour and commited her to baptism on a specific date.  She is so awesome!  I really want her to continue progressing.

Another new investigator is named David.  (I'm calling him David to hide his identity).  David has been taught by the Elders before, but because he is YSA age, they gave him to us.  He is so ready to be baptized!  He asked us in our last meeting, "How can I show Jesus that I love Him?"  How many times do missionaries get that question?  There is a bit of a language barrier when we teach him and we are worried about being able to baptize him because of his family's religious background.  He wants to be baptized so bad.  He came to church yesterday and sat through all 3 hours.  When we had to leave him for priesthood meeting, I was worried.  He could tell I was worried so he said, "Just go, don't worry about me.  I'm fine!"  It was a weird feeling when we left.  For a moment, I felt like David was my son and I was genuinely worried about him and his welfare.  At the end, he went to the munch and mingle and he said he really liked church, but he only wants to come back for Sunday School next week.  He loved the Sunday School teacher.  Hopefully we can teach him how important the other meetings are too in our next lesson.

I wish I could tell you more!  There are so many miracles happening everyday!  There are people prepared all around us.  Last General Conference Elder Nelson said, "Catch the Wave!"  The hour of our mission has come and it will never end.  Everyone knows someone who is prepared or who is being prepared to hear the gospel.  I challenge all who read this e-mail to create a list of 5 names, pray over it, and decide who Heavenly Father wants you to invite to hear more about the gospel.  D&C 31:7 says, "I will open the hearts of the people, and they will receive you."  I can promise this is true.  If we do this, God gives us a promise in verse 13 "Be faithful unto the end, and lo, I am with you".  What an excellent promise!  Open your mouths!  We can all be better missionaries!

I love you all and I think of you often.  Thank you for your prayers.  I know that this is Christ's church today.  He is at the head of it.  When we take the gospel more seriously, God will bless our lives.  I know this.  I know He lives and loves us. 

Have a great week!  Your favorite missionary,

Sister Jensen

P.S. Read GC talk Catch the Wave! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment