Monday, September 2, 2013

Be Zealous About the Gospel!

Bom Dia!
 
I'm kind of worried that this letter won't be as exciting as it usually is because my comp and I have been sick for most of the week. It's been raining a lot this week which is really nice and cold, but when it rains here the air pollution drops down to breathing level and makes people really sick. I never thought my first illness here would be a cough and stuffy nose! Because of that, we haven't been sleeping very well also. Last night at 1am I found another cockroach running around the room. He went and hid behind our dresser and we couldn't get to him. I slept in fear all night long that he would come after me. In the morning, we found him out in the open and I drenched him in Raid. It totally worked! He died soon after. I'm getting so pro at this!
This week I had my first interview with my mission President. This transfer he came to our houses to do cleaning checks and interviews. I wasn't worried about the cleaning check because our apartment was pretty dang clean, but I was worried that he wouldnt understand my Portuguese in my interview. To my surprise, we understood each other perfectly and we had a nice little interview. I really like my mission President. He is a really cool guy and he has a great vision for this mission. I also had a weird realization that this is my last week of the transfer! It went by so dang fast. I'm almost at my 6 month mark and I cannot believe how the time has flown by. I'm trying not to think about it, but when I do it makes me more and more grateful for everyday I have here.
Sister Crane and I have a lot of investigators, but only a handful that are truely progressing (if I can really call it a handful).  It is hard to help people keep their commitments here. One day this week we prayed that Heavenly Father would help us weed out those who aren't truely prepared to recieve our message. Our prayers were answered! That day our investigators were a lot more honest with us about our meetings with them. One of our investigators even called us and asked us when we would be coming back. It stands as a testimony to me that Heavenly Father wants to help us, we just needed to be humble enough to ask for His help. I'm so grateful that I'm not expected to do this work alone.
In Brazil family home evening is a little different. Here they are called "Noite Familiars and the members schedule them with the missionaries. I don't know why, but they always ask us plan them and give the message. I really like them though because a lot of the time they will ask a less active family to host a Noite Familiar. This week we went to a less actives home for a Noite Familiar and I really liked the message. This less active is expecting her first child soon and she hasnt been to church in a long time. We shared a message that I really liked and we read about the two thousand stripling warriors. In Alma 53:20-21 it says:
20 And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for acourage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.21 Yea, they were men of truth and asoberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to bwalk uprightly before him.

I really love these scriptures because I think the world could be such a different place if all young people could be like these valiant stripling warriors. They were courageous, trustworthy and they were TAUGHT to keep the commandments. Which makes me think, who taught them? What was it that caused these young men to be so righteous? In Alma 21:23 we read about their parents and it says:

23 And Ammon did preach unto the people of king Lamoni; and it came to pass that he did teach them all things concerning things pertaining to righteousness. And he did exhort them daily, with all diligence; and they gave heed unto his word, and they were azealous for keeping the commandments of God.

The parents of the stripling warriors were zealous about the gospel. They were devoted to the Lord and I can imagine that they taught their children with enthusiasm and excitement. Because of their examples, there children became a righteous generation.
This fills me with gratitude for my parents and makes me even more excited for the family I will have one day. I look forward to teaching my children about the gospel with enthusiam and excitement. I'm especially grateful that Heavenly Father has allowed me to serve a mission now to prepare to be a better mother. I know this church is true. I can feel the Spirit witness this truth to me daily. I've never been so excited about the gospel in my entire life. This is the greatest blessing of all. I love you all.

Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment