Monday, December 16, 2013

I am my own convert

I feel like this week I have been a witness of a lot of little miracles.  Finding those who have had great former afiliations with the church, showing up to a reference's door right in the nic of time and having the ability to explain the gospel clearly and simply.  I feel very blessed and very humbled in knowing that I cannot do this alone.  That Heavenly Father is working right along side us.
 
This week we finished teaching the son of a recent convert of the church.  His name is Natan and he is 14 years old.  When we started teaching him, he didn't have much knowledge of anything related to religion.  But in the course of 2 weeks he has really progressed well.  Yesterday his dad baptized him.  He wasn't baptized before because he was living in the another state called Pará.  What was even more special is that his dad baptized him on the same date he himself was baptized last year.  His dad is a man that really experienced great changes because of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It was a priveledge to be the missionary that taught his son.  When we told him this week that this was his final lesson before baptism he was really upset, "You guys won't come back to teach me more?"  Natan still is a little embarrassed to pray, but during the closing prayer of our final lesson he said, "And bless the Sisters that they will never stop teaching me".  I thought that was really sweet.  Although he has the support of his family and he has been integrated well with the young men, our presence in his life still mattered to him.
 
This week we've encountered a lot of people ready to Bible bash.  Man, I hate Bible bashing.  I've gotten to be much more familiar with the Bible throughout my mission which makes it a lot more tempting to prove people the false doctrine they are preaching, but really the best thing to do is just bear powerful testimony.  We went to go visit Solange our recent convert and her friend was with her so obviously was started teaching the Restoration.  It was all good until another women showed up at the First Vision and just wanted to fight.  For a while I tried to help her understand until I realized her heart was just too hard.  Sister Acevedo and I managed to cut in with our testimonies and before they could say more I asked to offer a prayer.  After we left we realized we left Solange in a den of lions!  So I deviced a plan to pour out all the water in my water bottle and go and ask Solage to fill it.  This worked really well and as we talked with Solange it was like talking with a different person.  Nothing they had said shaked her faith in what we taught and I know it is because of the gift of the Holy Ghost.  When we live worthy of his companionship, we cannot be shaken.
 
I'm so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost in my life.  He has been a comforter and a friend.  He has guided me and my decisions and he is still testifying to me of the truth.  If anyone has been truely converted as a result of my mission, I would have to say that the convert is me.  I know with a surety that the Church is true.  I love my Savior Jesus Christ. 
 
Love you all,
 
Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment