Friday, April 12, 2013

Hayley's 2nd letter from the MTC

Oi familia e amigos!

Tudo bem no CTM! (All is well in the MTC)

First off, thanks for all the e-mails, letters, DearElders, and packages.  They are much appreciated here.  Letters are gold.  Thank you Mom, Dad, Alli, Wes, Jayne, Sue&Jim, Christy, Kristie, Teresa, Amy, Austin, Abby, Kelley, Jane, Lesa, and Clint.  Sorry if I missed anyone.  Thanks for the love!


This week was awesome!  Vocal Point came and gave the devotional on Sunday.  It was very fun.  Everyday I'm more and more grateful to be here.  When we're not learning, we are laughing and having a great time.  I have some awesome missionaries in my district.  The Elders are especially awesome.  I was sick this week and the Elders were more than willing to give me a Priesthood blessing.  I love our Elders.  Despite their ages (18 and 19 year-olds) they are more than adequately prepared to serve.  They also make us laugh a lot.  On April Fools day they made all us Sisters believe that they got their visas!!  That really got us going, until they started laughing and said "April Fools!"  We totally forgot it was April Fools day.

They also do this thing called "spooning".  In the MTC, spooning is defined by carefully placing plastic spoons in another Elder's pocket, belt loop, etc. without them knowing.  It's pretty funny.  I like to joke and say that our Elders are always "spooning" each other and it's really awkward haha.  We have fun Elders.

Sister Decker and I are pretty cool too.  One day I started beat boxing and she started rapping in Portuguese.  It was funny, really funny.  She kind of reminds me of the funny Elder on the movie "Best Two Years".  You can only imagine how awesome her rapping is.  The Elders in our Branch are obsessed with it.  They think it's funny that a girl like me can make those kinds of vocal percussion noises!

This week we found out that 2 missionaries in our district received their visas.  They both went through the San Francisco Consulate and they leave for the Sao Paulo MTC this Tuesday.  We are so sad they are leaving, but also very happy for them.  One girl in our district is very dramatic about getting her visa.  It is all that she talks about.  As much as I'd love to be in Brazil, I know that Lord has different plans in mind.  I signed up for a mission, not for Brazil.  This is not a vacation to me.  I'm on the Lord's errand.  He will send me where He needs me.  In fact, I'd be very excited about a temporary reassignment.  Two missions in ONE!

How did ya like General Conference?  I thought it was wonderful.  It is a neat experience watching GC in the MTC.  The Spirit is so strong here.  I loved all the talk of missionary work as well.  It is so cool being numbered with the missionaries of the church.  It's an exciting time!  Not only for missionaries, but also member missionaries.  Do not miss an opportunity to share the gospel with others.  If you are reading this letter right now, find out for yourself why I'm sacrificing 18 months in the prime of my life to preach the gospel.  This is Christ's church.  If you want to know more, call the missionaries or write me and I'll hook you up. :)

This week I'm cherished my personal study time.  I especially loved reading in John 13:1-17 where Christ is washing the feet of the 12 apostles.  He says that He does this to give them an example, that they should do to others as He has done unto them.  Then He makes this promise in verse 17, "And if you know these things, happy are ye if ye do them".  We can find happiness in serving one another and loving one another.  I had a viral infection earlier this week.  Wednesday was a tough day.  It was all about my sickness, my antibiotics, me me me.  It was not the best day I've had in the MTC.  Not because I was sick, but because the focus of the day was on me.  I knew sister Decker had been wanting to go to the early morning yoga class.  Even though I was really against it, I went because is was important to her.  As a result of this sacrifice, I had a much better day.  Turn outward instead of inward.  "Happy are ye"


Thanks for your note Alli.  It made me cry.  I'm sorry I can't be there for you right now during high school starting.  Trust me, it is very hard not to call my mom and vent to her on a daily basis.  But it is forcing me to rely more on my Heavenly Father.  I believe that is why we have limited communication in the MTC.  Instead of venting to mom, I pour out my heart to my Father in Heaven.  He knows you best.  So Alli, when you have no one to turn to, go to Him.  He will comfort you.  He understands and He loves you.  Keep being a good example to others.

My time is up!  (I may have even gone a little over time)  Oops!  Just too much on my mind.  Love you all so much!  Continue to write me.  (Remember, this is the only time on my mission you can write me everyday on DearElder for free!!!!)  So do it!  When I don't get mail, the Elders feel bad for me and buy me candy haha.  so send mail!

Love your favorite Missionary/Amazon women,

Sister Hayley Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment