Friday, April 5, 2013


Oi!!!

I cannot believe I'm finally a missionary!  I want you all to know that I just love it.  I find myself staring at my little name tag and getting all giddy inside because I'm a real, live sister missionary!  It's the best.

So my P day is Friday, but my first Friday here didn't count as a P day so they made me wait a whole week to e-mail!  That was the hardest part.  The entire first week I found myself reaching in my purse for my cell phone to call ya, but then realized I couldn't :(  But no worries, I'm very well adjusted now.  I can see why they make that a rule.  It would be a huge distraction.

So I'll start from the beginning.  After Brock and Kristie dropped me off, I was immediately thrown into a tornado of new missionaries.  They don't waste anytime.  We picked up my books, dropped off my bags, and went straight to class.  In class Brother Read only spoke to us in Portuguese.  It was very scary!  And 2 days later we were teaching our first lesson in Portuguese to our fake investigator Aquilino.  Sister Decker (my companion) and I decided to teach about the restoration.  It was really cool that I already knew how to bear my testimony and recite the First Vision in Portuguese.  Thank you so much Abby Shaha!  Shout out to you for teaching me so well.  It helped so much knowing how to say those things.  I also said prayer in class my second day there.  My District was so excited about it, they asked me to teach them how to pray in Portuguese too.  I taught them all I know haha, which isn't much, but it was cool.  Abby Shaha, you're the best!  In my setting apart blessing I was told that I would be a teacher of missionaries.  I just cannot believe that that promise is being fulfilled so quickly!

Our first lesson went really well.  The Spirit was so strong, even with a fake investigator.  I really do love it here.  I'm learning how to rely on the Spirit so much when I teach.  I may not speak Portuguese well, but the Spirit can speak Portuguese.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't discouraged sometimes.  I really love D&C 6:36 lately.  It says: "Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not."  So perfect for what I'm doing.  I don't need to fear about the language or the dangers of where I'm going.  The Lord knows what He is doing.  I'm extremely grateful for this knowledge.  Sister Decker loves learning Portuguese.  The first week here I helped her memorize our purpose and the First Vision also.  She is a champ.  We find we are most effect when we work out.  That is when we work on most of our Portuguese.  I'm also grateful to Amy Hamaker for the letter she sent me this week.  She shared with me a scripture she referenced many times on her mission and I think I will do the same.  It's in Alma 26:27 "Now when our hearts were depressed and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said, "Go amongst thy brethren the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions and I will give unto you success."  I love that.  This mission will be difficult, but I would be very disappointed if it were easy.  How am I supposed to learn and grow if this was a walk in the park?  I'm so grateful to be called to Manaus.  Thanks Amy.  I shared this with a new Sister last night.  She is in our room and she was really struggling and frustrated only 2 days out.  I think it helped her a lot.

I love all that I'm learning here.  This last Sunday we had 2 awesome speakers.  The Presiding Bishop of the church and Sheri Dew!  Sheri Dew!!!  It was amazing.  But my favorite thing was watching the filmed CES devotional Elder Bednar gave a while ago.  It's call "Character of Christ".  Look it up.  Watch it or read it, then write to me your thoughts.  That goes to all who receive this e-mail.  There are many of you.  Send me a short letter.  Honestly, letters are the best thing here.  I used to think missionaries were so pathetic about their mail, but now that I am a missionary...I'm obsessed with mail!  So write me PLEASE!  DearElder.com or look up my address on Facebook.  Also, Dad I need your home address.  Can you shoot me a letter or use DearElder.com?  Or have the kids send it to me?  Thanks!

I'm out of time.  Love you all so much!  The church is true.  We are extremely blessed.  Please watch General Conference this weekend.  Mom, include conference info when you forward this e-mail and explain it a little please.

Love you, I've never been happier.

Your favorite Squishinary,

Sister Hayley Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment