Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!   January 6, 2014
 2014 already?!  Last March I was entering the MTC.  I feel like this has been the fastest year of my life!  New Year’s Eve was way chill.  We stayed inside our little apartment that night and watched church movies.  There were fireworks going off on both sides of our house and really loud music.  The next morning there was hardly anybody outside.  I'm sure everyone was way super hung-over.   
This last week was really great!  We finally got someone on date for baptism and were really excited to plan a baptism this week.  She is the sister of a member and she is really progressing well.  She is 13 years old and kind of timid, but I think she is warming up to us.  Sunday, she wasn't at church and her brother said that she doesn't want to be baptized so soon.  This concern in non-members always confuses me.  It's like, "here's the blessing...what are ya waiting for?"  Luckily, we will have a Sister training leader here tomorrow to help us out.   

The highlight of this week was teaching Dalila and Anne.  Dalila is the mom of a young man in the branch and Anne is the young man's cousin.  Anne and Dalila are both middle aged women that have had exposure to the church already but are just now gaining more interest.  We met Anne when she showed up to a relief society activity called "amigo doce" or "sweet friend".  It's like a secret Santa gift exchange but you give each other sweet treats.  All the women enjoyed the activity and before it started we took Anne on a tour of the new chapel.  She liked it a lot.  Then we marked a time to return and teach.   
With Dalila, we pretty much just showed up at her house one day and started teaching her.  She liked it and the next visit, Dalila and Anne wanted to be taught together.  We unfolded to them the plan of salvation and eternal families.  They paid close attention to every word and the spirit was really strong.  We taught the importance of marriage and the law of chastity and invited them to get married to their husbands.  Then we talked about the Book of Mormon and I was surprised to see that Anne already had one.  I said "Anne, who gave you a book of Mormon?"  And she told us that she picked it up on her own at the church the day of the activity.  She said, "Sisters...I don't like to read, but every time I open this book my desire and will to read grows stronger and stronger."   

Yesterday we met with Anne after church to talk about how the conversion about marriage went with her husband.  She said she was really nervous, but his heart was open to it.  The only problem is he wants to wait a YEAR!  She said that her 6 year old daughter loves the church and last Sunday was crying because they didn't go.  She said her 6 year old had the following conversion with her dad:

Anne's daughter: "Dad, you need to marry my mom"
Anne's "husband": "Why do you want me to marry your mom?"
Anne's daughter: "Because if you don't marry my mom, I can't become like the girl missionaries that are teaching her someday"

When Anne recounted that story I wanted to cry!  Even a 6 year old that has been to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ONE time recognizes the truth.  She knows that she will progress better in the gospel with a family united.  I'm so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I'm grateful for the Spirit and its power in conversion.  I'm grateful for members that give us referrals.  I'm convinced that this work cannot exist without member referrals!!  All our work right now is because of member help.  I'm grateful for the power of the Book of Mormon.  This church is true.  I know it.  Let's invite the New Year in with a strengthened desire to help others come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel.  I love you all.  Happy New Year!  2014 will be the best year of my life!

Love,

Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment