Monday, April 28, 2014

Personal Conversion

Every week passes by faster and faster.  I can't believe that it is monday again!  This week was a good one.  We had an exchange with some Sisters in our zone and it was really fun to work in a different area.  Afterwards we bought pizza and icecream.  One thing I learned on the mission is that you can't survive running around constantly stressed out.  I felt like I started my mission really stressed and worried all the time, running from one appointment to the next.  This transfer with Sister Freitas has taught me that we need moments to sit down, laugh, and eat icecream.  The mission is a lot more enjoyable and it takes away contention that can drive away the spirit.
This week we took Michel to the temple to take pictures.  We walked around the garden and showed him the lodge facilities to the right of the temple.  He loved it.  He was taking pictures at every angle of the temple.  We sat down with him to show him our recommend and what it means to us to have a temple recommend.  Then, a newly wed couple came out of the temple.  He turned to us and said, "I want to be the next".  There is nothing more he wants than an eternal family.

Yesterday I gave a talk in church and asked Michel if I could use his testimony.  It is very powerful.  I will try and translate a part of it:

"After passing through many sufferings and thinking about a purpose in my life, two missionaries appeared in my house.  Sister Jensen and Sister Freitas started to talk about the Book of Mormon and scriptures and was a skeptic of what they were teaching.  I didn't give much importance to it all, but when they continued teaching about baptism my life began to change.  I learned that baptism meant death and rebirth to a new life.  That all that was morally incorrect I could leave in the past.  After my baptism I felt new and I know that it was the happiest day of my life.  I read the Book of Mormon and prayed to Heavenly Father and I felt that everything is true.  What I felt was undescribable.  I felt something hopeful and a comforting warmness.  An imense happiness.  I am on the path of righteousness to become a better person.  What is more important is that I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church."

Nothing beats the testimony of someone you taught on the mission.  After church on Sunday Michel received the Aaronic Priesthood and next month he will receive the Melquisedeque Priesthood.

Truely the Spirit has a huge role in missionary work.  The Spirit is what motivates us to become converted by living the gospel of Jesus Christ.  And conversion is a process we live constantly, even after our baptism.  This sunday I spoke in sacrament meeting about personal conversion and I used a quote by Elder Howard W. Hunter, 

“What does the Atonement have to do with missionary work? Antime we
experience the blessings of thAtonement in our lives, we cannot help but have concern for the welfare of others. … A great indicator of one’s personal conversion is the desire to share the gospel with others.”

Are we really converted?  If we are helping the missionaries share the gospel, then we truely are converted.  When we love the Savior Jesus Christ, we will help in this work. Our blessings of eternity depend on it.  Like President George Albert Smith said, 

“We will attain our exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom only on the condition that we sharwith our Father’s other children the blessings ofthe Gospeof Jesus Christ and observe the commandments that will enrich our lives here and hereafter”

 I love this gospel.  I'm so grateful for the blessing it is to sit front row and watch the conversion of others.  Heavenly Father loves His children.  Trust that He will answer your prayers and that when you invite your friends to read the Book of Mormon and pray, the Spirit will touch their hearts.  3 Nephi 7:21

I love you all!  Have a great week!


Sister Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment